October 18, 2011
President Obama's bus tour to promote his American Jobs Act comes to Virginia today and tomorrow, with stops in Emporia, Hampton, and Chesterfield.
The Progressive Point: Americans are in desperate need of good jobs. President Obama understands this need, which is why he has proposed common sense ideas, that have been supported by Republicans and Democrats, to get Americans back to work. Instead of creating more jobs, obstructionists in Congress are protecting tax breaks and giveaways for the wealthiest Americans. To protect their wealthy donors, Republicans voted to lay off teachers, leave our veterans without jobs, and let our roads and bridges crumble. Politicians who prioritize political gain over helping their struggling constituents have no business leading America.
What the American Jobs Act means for Virginia:
Businesses receiving a payroll tax cut: 150,000
Average tax cut for a Virginia household: $1,890
Infrastructure money: $809,000,000
Infrastructure jobs: 10,500
Teacher money: $742,300,000
Teacher jobs: 10,800
School money: $425,300,000
School rebuilding jobs: 5,500
Get the full American Jobs Act Virginia Fact Sheet here.
Public Support for the American Jobs Act:
According to last week's Washington Post/Bloomberg poll:
- "More than two-thirds of Americans, including a majority of Republicans, say wealthier people should pay more taxes to bring down the budget deficit."
- 74% support providing money to state governments to allow them to hire teachers and first responders
- 65% support cutting the payroll tax for all American workers
- 64% support increased federal spending to build and repair roads, bridges and schools
- 58% support cutting the payroll tax for all American businesses
Tweet it: Virginians need jobs not political games. Congress must pass Obama's Jobs Act to get folks back to work http://bit.ly/p5Nvjh via @ProgressVA